VMRC is a destination hub inside an exciting city brimming with experiences. From delightful dining and outdoor adventures to great music and theatrical performances, Harrisonburg offers something to enjoy for everyone.
Here are ten activities to experience when visiting the Harrisonburg area:
1. Edith J. Carrier Arboretum– James Madison University’s (JMU) woodland sanctuary is open from dawn to dusk. The Arboretum provides the perfect experience for nature lovers.
2. Virginia Quilt Museum– If quilting is your passion, the Virginia Quilting Museum is a must-see destination. This resource center for the study of quilts is designated as the Official Quilt Museum of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
3. John C. Wells Planetarium– If you like sky-watching, you must schedule a trip to JMU’s state-of-the-art planetarium. You can learn about our universe and extrasolar worlds. When the planetarium is closed, don’t worry. A handy sky-watching guide helps you determine the best nights to check out the stars outdoors.
4. James Madison’s Montpelier– Perhaps you’re a history buff interested in the nation’s 4th president of the United States. Visit Montpelier to experience various tours and educational experiences at the home of James and Dolly Madison.
5. Terra Overland– Are you adventurous? You can embrace the spirit of exploration through Overlanding, a 4-wheel drive touring experience. Explore the terrain of the Appalachian Mountains or check out the sunset from 4,500 feet!
6. Forbes Center for Performing Arts– JMU’s premier music, dance, theater and visual arts destination offers high-quality performances and talent-filled student showcases. Check out the season’s offerings and get your ticket to see some of the area’s best entertainment.
7. Middle River Outfitters– Do you enjoy fly fishing? Let Middle River Outfitters organize your experience. Whether in the South Fork of the Shenandoah River or Mossy Creek, Middle River Outfitters can help you feel the thrill of the catch.
8. 150 Franklin Street Gallery– After you’ve toured VMRC’s art exhibit of the moment, you can visit the 150 Franklin Street Gallery to see more exquisite works by local and national artists.
9. James Madison Mineral Museum– More than just rocks, minerals are the building blocks of your favorite gems and crystals. Visit the Mineral Museum and see what happens when chemical elements come together.
10. Shenandoah Heritage Market– This market is a collection of locally-owned shops located indoors and outdoors. Items you can buy include memorabilia, hand-crafted goods and various foods. Visit, shop and leave with some “Old Fashioned Valley Goodness!”
This list of amazing things only scratches the surface. Visit us here at VMRC and then dive deeper into the features that make Harrisonburg a great place to which you can retire.
Still waiting to retire?
Harrisonburg is also a great place to work and play! Remember: You can join the VMRC community at 55 years young and before you decide to retire!
*Photo credit: By Famartin – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0